Green Onion and Wild Mushroom Risotto
Notes: Potentially hazardous food. Food Safety Standards: Hold food for service at an internal temperature above 140°F. Do not mix old product with new. Cool leftover product quickly (within 4 hours) to below 41°F. See p. 44 for cooling procedures. Reheat leftover product quickly (within 2 hours) to 165°F. Reheat product only once; discard if not used.
When extending recipe, add broth to rice at a rate of 1 cup per lb of rice.
Parmesan cheese can be stirred into the rice after it has been put in a pan. Add Parmesan cheese in a ratio of 1 oz cheese to 1 lb rice mixture.
Risotto should be soft and creamy, but not runny. The product will stiffen during holding and may require additional small amounts of hot broth.
Chicken broth may be substituted for vegetarian broth. Adjust salt as necessary.
Categories: Side Dish
Source: Rice Recipes Copyright: © 2004 by Prentice-Hall, Inc.
1 gallon water
2 ounces vegetable base (see notes)
20 ounces of dried wild mushrooms
3 ounces olive oil
5-6 Bunches of Green Onion, finely chop the white parts with the green part thinly sliced, Reserve green part of 1 bunch for garnish.
1 ounce minced garlic
2 pounds of cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
36 ounces arborio rice
1 1/2 cups White Wine
12 ounces Earth Balance Butter
6-8 TB Tofutti Cream Cheese with 1-2 ounces o MimicCreme Cashew Cream-Unsweetened
12 ounces Parma Vegan parmesan cheese
4-6 tsp of finely grated orange zest
1. Mix vegetarian base and water in a steam-jacketed kettle. Add the Dried Mushrooms, Bring to boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and keep hot. 30-40 minutes until or until needed, the mushrooms need to be soft. Reserve broth for later step.
2. Heat oil to 350°F in fry pan. Sauté crimini mushrooms and hold for garnish. Sauté onion and garlic in oil until translucent, about 4 minutes.
3. Add rice to onion. Stir and cook 3 minutes.
4. Add water and cook until water evaporates. Reduce temperature and add broth slowly, 2 cups at a time (broth reserved from earlier step). Stir very often but not constantly. Do not let the pan become dry before adding more broth.
5. Cook and stir rice until rice is al dente and mixture is creamy (about 20 minutes). Turn off heat.
6. Add remaining butter, green onion and Parmesan cheese and cream cheese with the orange peel. Stir until incorporated.
7. Pan Risotto into 12x10x2-inch pans. Cover. Hold for service about 140°F. Prepare close to serving time.