Thursday, May 24, 2012

Reconstituting Dried Mushrooms

Sometimes a recipe calls for mushrooms and fresh are great but cannot always be obtained.  Next best thing when using exotic mushrooms or morels when they are not easily obtained or out of season is to buy dried mushrooms which are usually to be found in most produce departments in better grocery stores.

The problem is they need to be re-hydrated.


  1. Do you soak them in room temp or luke warm water?
  2. Boil or simmer them?
or 
     3.  Bring to a simmer, turn off heat, and let steep for approximately 20-30 minutes or more if needed.

I personally find that #3 is my method of choice and these are the steps I use.

First I open the package of dried mushrooms and remove in foreign objects which are obviously not mushrooms.

Secondly, I place them in a sauce pan and cover with Vegetable broth. 

Third, I bring them to a simmer and remove from heat.

Lastly, I then will strain them from the broth/liqueur and reserve such for use in the dish I am preparing.

At this point, I can cut up my reconstituted mushrooms if needed and/or add them to my dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment